Happy New Year everyone! After a restful and needed end-of-year vacation, I’m back and have big plans for 2020. But first things first, I want to take stock of my 2019 resolutions and see how I did:
- Eat three servings of beans a day – This one flew out the window pretty quickly. It was tough always having enough beans on hand.
- Post on this blog at least twice a month. – Achieved! Not only that, but I exceeded my goal with 40 posts…far beyond the 24 I anticipated.
- Do a bike century – Somewhat achieved? I didn’t do the century as planned, but I did participate in the final NYC Century doing a 35 mile ride.
- Spend more time volunteering or finding ways to give back to my community – Achieved! In 2019 I served as a tax prep volunteer, tutored a Honduran refugee in English, completed a project with Net Impact’s NYC Service Corps, and helped organize NYC’s chapter of the global design jam. Yay!
What’s not on the list, but even more important, is that I got a new job after getting laid off at the end of 2018 and I got engaged!! So yeah, 2019 was a comeback year after a very difficult 2018.
2020 might not be able to quite live up to 2019, but I have a new set of goals. Drumroll please…
- Prioritize health above everything else, which means consistently making good food, exercise, sleep choices. #selfcare
- Save more money (remember that part where I said I got engaged?)
- Channel my Marie Kondo and purge my apartment of things I don’t use (starting to feel like every nook and cranny is overflowing with stuff)
- Post on this blog weekly, every Sunday, alternating between a travel post and a food post. I’m also going to be posting more frequently on my Instagram and Facebook accounts.
What are your 2020 goals? Let me know in the comments below!
This chocolate smoothie has become a go-to morning beverage for me. With sweet cherries, banana, and peanut butter, it tastes like dessert, but only contains ingredients that are super healthy! That’s a win-win in my book. You can bet that I’ll be reaching for this drink often to reach my #1 goal.
Looking for other healthy, vegan recipes to kick off 2020? Here are my top five:
- Green “Resolution” Smoothie
- Homemade Vegetable Sushi Bowl
- Cornucopia Americana Salad Bowl
- Brunch-Worth Asparagus Avocado Toast (vegan option: skip the egg)
- Thai Green Curry
Making this decadent smoothie is super simple. You’ll want to freeze your banana and cherries in advance. Then gather all your ingredients, put them in a blender, and blend until you reach the desired consistency.
Chocolate Resolution Smoothie
5 minutes. Makes one 16-ounce smoothie.
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana, chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, I prefer without)
- Add ingredients in the order listed and blend for 60 seconds or until smooth.